This article will give you some keys for secure surfing on the Internet – in minimizing the risks.
You have to think about security and privacy if you do the following :
- Using e-mail to exchange sensitive/private information
- Buying stuff on the Internet
- Bank account transactions
- Do the mentioned tasks above from different computers or places
- Do not communicate ANY sensitive data (IDs, passwords, etc) to anybody else, nor communicate them by e-mail.
- Use strong passwords like – Ya/*12X+25q – , don’t use your telephone number or birthday!
- Surf on the Internet in a user session ONLY !
- Run a firewall in stealth mode
- Update all software on you computer on a regular basis
- Install program(s) to protect you from malware like : viruses, trojans, spyware and rootkits. Scan your computer on a regular basis for malware.
- Use the newest version
- Configure your browser as strict as possible, use eventually an LSO (flash cookie) cleaner plugin and a script blocker like NoScript
- Enable private browsing, this allows you to browse the Internet without saving any information about which sites and pages you’ve visited.
Specific e-mail measures
- Configure your e-mail connection secure, check the presence of https://. Avoid http://
Money related measures
- By stuff only from known, trusted Websites like ebay, Amazon, Priceminister, etc or check if there is a digital certificate like VeriSign or TRUSTe
- Use a specific and restricted bank account for buying stuff on the Internet
- Use the visual keyboard (on screen keyboard) to login
Measures on a remote computer
- Use only the visual keyboard (on screen keyboard) to login
- Use the Tails live operating system. You can start it on almost any computer from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card. It helps you to :
- Use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship. All connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network
- Leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it explicitly
- Use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging
The same article in French
– get post updates by connecting to our RSS feed
– get post updates by subscribing to our e-mail list
– share on social media :